1. Canon: Canon was formed in the year 1937 in Tokyo, Japan. Leading by the canon USA in United States, It has some group companies all over the world. In July 1986, Canon lunched its first digital camera RC-701. From then, hundreds of digital cameras have been made by Canon. Cannon has been among the top companies for many years by the popular PowerShot and Reble series cameras. It is in the first position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
2. Sony: Sony Corporation is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation which is commonly referred as Sony. Its headquarters is in Minato, Tokyo, Japan. Sony Corporation is divided in some sectors. They are Sony Corporation, Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Financial Holdings and others. Sony was not a major camera manufactures before making digital cameras. Sony lunched Cyber-Shot series digital cameras which became very popular. It is in the second position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
3. Olympus: Olympus first started manufacturing with making thermometers and microscopes. In 1919 this company was founded with the name Takachiho Seisakusho and in 1921 it registered as Olympus. The first camera of this company Semi-Olympus was launched in 1936. Olympus renamed to Olympus Optical in 1949. For several decades, Olympus’s camera was among the top sellers earlier with film cameras and later with digital cameras. It is in the third position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
4. Kodak: After the invention of a machine which allowed the mass-production of photographic dry plates by George Eastman, Eastman Dry Plate Company was founded in Rochester, N.Y. in 1881. In 1888, under the brand name Kodak, this company started to produce simple cameras. Eastman, with the easy to use Kodak cameras, brought the “snap shot” in photography. In 1892, this company changed its name officially to Eastman Kodak. This company is now transitioning to photography industry with reputation. It is in the fourth position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
5. Fujifilm: Fujifilm was founded in 1934 as the Fuji Photo Film Co. At first it was domestic photography film manufacturer filling the desire from Japanese Government. Within a short time, it expanded by establishing subsidiary companies and opening several factories. In the year 2007 its cameras placed eighth among the cameras in the world. Fujifilm camera is of10 shor10ed to Fuji camera. This company holds a market share of 6.3%. It is in the fifth position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
6. Samsung: Samsung Electronics became world’s biggest electronic company in the year of 2010 with the revenue of $133.78 billion. Its headquarters is in Samsung Town, Seoul, South Korea. It is a flagship subsidiary of Samsung Group. It has sales networks and assembly plants in 65 countries of the world. After becoming one of the companies of top 10 electronic companies, it started to product variety of products including cameras. Though Samsung focuses on the point and shoot cameras, it also produces digital SLR and ultra compact cameras. It is in the sixth position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
7. Nikon: Nikon is a Japanese company formed in 1917 in Tokyo, Japan. Officially it is known as Nippon Kogaku K.K. In 1932 it began to product camera lenses. And after the World War II, this company began to focus on camera production. By the production of film cameras in 1948, the name Nikon appeared. The name of the first camera was Nikon I. The name was officially changed to Nikon Corp in 1988. Nikon’s cameras are very powerful which is very appreciating to the professional film photographers. It is in the seventh position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
8. Panasonic: Panasonic Corporation is a multinational consumer electronics corporation formerly known as Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. It is situated in Kadoma, Osaka, Japan. Konosuke Matsushita along with three employees founded this company in 1918. Soon after the foundation, it became the Japan’s biggest producer of electronic products along with Toshiba and Sony. Panasonic focuses on its Lumix-brand cameras for both digital SLR and point and shoot models. It is in the eighth position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
9. GE: In 1876, Thomas Edison started a laboratory in Menlo Park, N.J. He invented incandescent electric lamp there. In 1890 he founded the Edison General Electric Company. In 1892 the Edison General Electric Company and Thomson-Houston Company merged together with the formation of General Electric. GE is new comer in the digital camera market but its quality of product is quite good. Most of the GE cameras are point and shoot models. It is in the ninth position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.
10. Pentax: In 1919 Pentax was founded in a suburb of the Tokyo named Kogaku Goshi Kausha. It became Ashai Optical after two decades. Before the World War II, because of the Japanese war effort, it started to produce lenses and cameras. In 2008 it merged with Hoya Corporation of Tokyo, it was still among the leading digital camera manufacturing companies. Besides film and digital SLR cameras, Pentax also manufactures point and shoot cameras. It is in the last position in the Top 10 List of digital camera manufacturers.